Sunday, June 29, 2008

HBO Documentary Films: Hard Times At Douglass High (HBO)

I have just finished watching this documentary on HBO. Was rather interesting. When I first saw the preview for it, I automatically decided against watching it. I get tired of seeing minority groups being depicted in a negative light on television. I wasn't going to watch it as I do not subscribe to the notion that for some, the life of an African American , is entertaining and should be watched like National Geographic or something.... but that is just me...

So, two very close colleagues of mine spoke bout watching this documentary. They spoke of it with great fervor too, so I decided to watch it. Now the interesting thing about the programme was that it focused on an inner city school and how it has been affected by the "no Child Left Behind" act. Rather interesting, you should watch it if you get a chance.

As my colleagues expressed what they saw and how they felt, they both wondered if what they were seeing was prophetic. They wondered if, in this new day of reform, and this new day of parental "uninvolvement" this would be Bermuda in a few years.

Makes you wonder, it is a sobering view of where we can end up if we as an island do not take hold of the reigns of this horse that appears to be running away fast. Heaven forbid this should be us in a few years.

Our motto is "Quo Fatta Ferunt" "Wherever the fates will lead" but we can't leave this up to fate, sorry, it is too important, our children depend on us, our future depends on us....education is the building blocks for any nation.....LET'S DO THIS, AND DO IT RIGHT!!!!!!!

No comments: