Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What a Refreshing Show!!


This evening's show was so refreshing. I left the studio feeling empowered, energized, and ready to be the best teacher that I could be. Dr. Matthews, our guest for this show was excellent. The title of this show, our sixth episode was, "Empowering Teachers to Greatness!!", and boy do I feel empowered. Dr. Matthews explained the Hopkins report, shedding some light on the methods used to collect the data, and really cleared up a lot of misconceptions proported by my peers and I.
He then gave suggestions that teachers can use to empower themselves and this was where I began to feel excited, I was ready to run to my classroom and give my all for my students. Contrary to popular beleif, parents are not really the problem. There are some schools in low income areas, with parents who don't really contribute to an attitude of success, that are thriving, the students reading two to three grades higher than their grade and where excellence is king. Hmmmmm....., can we foster this type of attitude here in Bermuda? Dr. Matthews is going to post some suggestions on the blog that we can use that can start us on this path, a path that at the present, may be seldom travelled by the multitudes, but a path that we can everyone to start treading on. Let's do this, let's begin to share what works in our classes with othwers, let's paint mental images of what a good science teacher is, or a good math teacher, or a good ______ Teacher (you fill in the blank).
I believe that we can do it, yes, it is going to take a change of mindset, it is going to take some of us changing our paradigms, it may even cause some of us to take a step back, and regroup, and rebuild ourselves, but we can do it!! A journey of a thousand miles begins with one footstep, an ant can eat an elephant, one bite at a time, the anologies are endless, but we can do it!! Let's start now, let's strive to be the best that we can be, let's strive for greatness, not just for ourselves, but for our students, for Bermuda, and inevitably, for the world!!!
WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!! BE EMPOWERED AND LET'S GET READY FOR GREATNESS!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying the show more and more. Of course I enjoy listening to sensible comments with a little humor sprinkled in.I stilled get annoyed that so many people think it's only the teacher's job to teach regardless of what the children come in with. Too many children are dealing with a parent who is in jail, deceased or is part of a court case. I am not complaining but as we know there are many other things going on during a school day that need to be addressed before learning can take place. Are you going to have an hour long show soon????

Anonymous said...

Sorry!!! I meant to say another hour!